Monday, January 10, 2011

Hey, so this week I have no time to write because it took forever for my email to load and it docked me 7 minutes, so I'll try to type fast.  That's sweet that you all had an awesome Christmas and everything went well. I have a cool experience to tell you this week.  Actually it happened last night.  So my companion Elder Dunford and the other zone leader elder Johnson had to go do some zone leader stuff, so it put me and Elder Santos into a companionship for a few hours.  We didn't have anyone to teach, so our teacher was like- ok you can teach me instead.  So anyway, it was wierd because instead of portraying an investigator she was herself and we had to find her needs.  So we said a prayer to start and I couldn't even start.  I didn't know what to talk about or anything, so we just were like : how's your day? Good? Sweet! Ok.  Where do you go to school?  You know that basic stuff and then we were just like uh.... so that was for like 3 minutes of straight silence and I was just kinda frustrated because I was really trying to have the spirit tell me what to say or do, but I was just like whatever.  I'll share a scripture and then end the discussion.  So I was like : ok, faith.  It's a basic principle and whatever, so I went to go to Alma 32 because I've read it about a dozen times while being here and it was what came to my mind, but as I was going to it , it was like I couldn't even think at all.  I was like wait - what?  So anyway, I was like ok.  Ether 12:6, that's on faith and then I was like - oh ya, the other SM is Ether 12:27.  So I share those two scriptures and was like ok- so what do these scriptures say to you and so forth.  And she was like, we need to show our weakness and whatever, and then Elder Santos started talking about humility and I share my thoughts and then were like uh.......cuz she wasn't really talking.  She would say  like 4 words and I could tell she was trying to hide something.  Anyway, she timed us out because we were confused at where to go with the lesson and she was like - ok- you both received revelation.  And I thought she was just saying that because I was frustrated because things weren't looking good to me.  But she explained that even though we might not think things are going well, the spirit can say different things than what is coming out of our mouths.  She explained that she had been struggling and didn't want to ask the Lord what she needed to do because she didn't want to have to do it.  So she was like - no- I won't pray and when we taught her she said the Lord was speaking through us to say be humble and have faith.  She said that she felt like the Lord was chastising her and was like ok- so you don't want to humble yourself.  I'll find a way to tell you.  HaHa.  I thought it was sweet and I loved it! It totally helped me realize even though I think things aren't going the right way, they can be.  Don't ever focus on your needs or your own knowledge but just testify and share the doctrine and that is all you need to do and the spirit will direct you to what to say, even though sometimes it is like: what am I talking about right now?  Ha Ha . Anyways, so that was my cool story.
I leave on Tuesday morning early and I should get to call home sometime between 7:30 and 8:30, because my flight leaves at 8:30.  So I'll call in between then.    I'm excited to hear from you and hopefully I get to talk to Hyrum and the kids.  Anyway, I gotta run, so I'll talk to you then!
Elder Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment