Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hey family!
Well Iam in Atlanta Georgia and Iam loving it so far. It is so different than the MTC in everyway. The language actually isn't making me depressed or anything its wierd. I just listen as my companion and the native speakers jabber away in the lessons and then when I get looked at I bear my testimony and share what little I can say on what I think they are talking about but I have definatly seen the gift of tongues I can for the most part understand the jist of what they are talking about. Its hard though because the Elders I am living with dont really speak spanish that much only really when teaching or tracting so its hard to learn but gives me alot of responsiblity to learn on my own. They told me of a promise a General Authority made that if you read the BOM side by side with any language you will be fluent pretty much by the time you finish it. Regardless of its truth I was really excited and I put all my faith in that and so I have been doing that alot but they said my pronunciation and reading in spanish is way better than theirs were when they came out so it gives me hope. I am actually not that bad I can get my point across pretty decent and my goal is to be able to talk decent by the end of this transfer! Can you believe its already halfway through January!? crazy! So my first days were mostly arriving in the mission home and whatnot but thats not even excited cuz it was all just little orientations but I love my mission president and his wife. My interview with him he said alot of the spanish Elders struggle with obedience and so that kinda made me a little bit like ok I need to be that example and do everything I can to be exactly obedient. But my trainer is awesome his name is Elder Carpenter and I live with the distrcit leader and his companion as well Elders Jones and Wood so its fun! My p-day is on monday but because there was a holiday yesterday the library was closed so I was unable to write. We are in a biking area so that should be fun but the humidity here is wierd like its chilly but its not cold I dunno I understand more of what you would say how it chillls more to the bone, but really its not that bad. I love it here though today we had district meeting and so we traveled to this place where I dont even know but it reminded me so much of England it was in a more wealthy part but there is fog and so many trees and brick houses and just beautiful churches and houses. The spanish isn't at all like that at least no in our area. Iam serving in Marietta right now and so far we have been to 3 trailer parks and a couple apartment complexes and I understand now what people say that when your on your mission going into somewhere like that is nothing but if you weren't a missionary there is no way ever I would go there because of fear I would be shot hahaha but I love it I love just going into a trailer and teaching the little I can say and just being apart of the work. I had a Dinner apointment the other day and we ate beans rice and tortillas. ahhah classic here but it was actually really good. So Elder Carpentor and I went tracting the other day and we knocked on about 40 doors and most weren't interested but for spanish people they always just take your passalong card or dont answer the door so its not any doors slamming--at least not yet. I hope it never comes to that either but no we went in and taught a Gautemalen and it was really good and then the next door a young kid probalby 18 or so invited us in and his name is carlos he spoke both English and Spanish and so we taught Spanglish so half and half and anyways he was like ya I pray to feel better and he seemed really interested and told us we made him feel happy again and he said he would read the pamphlet we gave him and we have a return apt with him on Saturday so I am really excited! who knows what will happen there. other than that thats about everything that has happened so far so I love ya and ill talk to ya next week!
Love Elder Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment